As you are all aware, The Great British Bake Off is back! Before it started I thought it would be a nice idea to bake something inspired by the show each week and blog about it. Week 1 was cake and although I had the best of intentions, I didn’t get round to my GBBO inspired bake because I was baking ready for my photography session with Betty last weekend.
While I was searching through endless cooking blogs (which is what I seem to spend hours doing without realising these days), I came across a blog called Mummy Mishaps (http://www.mummymishaps.co.uk/) by @JennyPaulin. She is running a little competition where food bloggers are baking an item inspired by that week’s show and then there will be a star baker each week. This has been appropriately called The Great Bloggers Bake Off.
I decided to move on from cake week and join in with week 2 – biscuits! I came across this recipe months ago and wanted to try it because everyone raves about the carrot cupcakes I make, so I wanted to see if these would be as popular. They have the same key ingredients as the carrot cupcakes but are in cookie form instead. The original recipe is one by Martha Stewart but I have tweaked it slightly.
I took these into work and they went down very well! I think they are a great alternative to cupcakes but have the same flavours that people seem to love. Sometimes I find biscuits a little bit boring so the filling in these add something a little bit special.
For the filling
2oz full fat cream cheese
2oz unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup icing sugar
1tsp lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and put to one side while you make the filling
- Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add sugar and lemon juice and mix until combined
- Cover and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until firm. Meanwhile, make the cookies
For the cookies
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg yolk
3/4 cup plain flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup packed finely grated carrot
- Whisk together butter, sugars and egg yolk. In another bowl whisk together flour, cinnamon and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until combined. Mix in the oats, carrot and sultanas
- Spoon level tablespoons of mix onto the baking trays leaving enough room to allow for the cookies to spread. Flatten the mix down slightly
- Bake for 15 – 18 minutes, turning the trays half way through, until the edges are crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely
- When cooled, turn one cookie upside down so the flat side is facing upwards. Spoon about 1 tsp of the chilled filling onto the cookie. Put another cookie onto and gently press down so that the filling spreads to the edges
Before being filled, the cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. The filling can be made ahead and chilled for up to five days.
The original recipe can be found at – http://www.marthastewart.com/341124/carrot-cake-cookies