Fluffy savoury muffins with onion chutney – the perfect snack. If you are a cheese fan, these are definitely for you!
I made these muffins to take into work quite a few months ago because they are all cheese fanatics. To say they went down well is an understatement! Since then, one person in particular (yes I’m talking about you Hollie!) has asked me every few weeks when I am going to make them again. I have finally caved in and made them again. Rien is not very happy that I’m taking them into work and has asked a couple of times if there are any spares so it looks like I might be making them again pretty soon!
One of the things I like about these muffins is that you don’t need any fancy equipment like a mixer and they are so quick. The most strenuous task is grating some cheese! How easy they are makes them a perfect muffin to whip up if you have guests coming (or if you fancy a treat!)
You can use whatever chutney that you would usually like to eat with cheese. In mine I like to use my homemade onion chutney – who doesn’t like the flavours of cheese and onion? Don’t get too carried away and put a huge amount of chutney in the middle of each muffin because it will just spill put and could burn.
The mix is enough to make 12 muffins even though it may not look like it will. Put roughly one tablespoon of the mix in the bottom of each muffin before you add the chutney and then divide the remaining mix. These don’t make the biggest muffins so you can always make a few less, but larger muffins. I like to keep a small amount of cheese back to sprinkle on top because it makes them look nice and also adds a tasty toasted cheese flavour – yum!
Makes 12 muffins
175g plain flour
120g cheddar cheese, grated
80ml semi-skimmed milk
60ml sunflower or vegetable oil
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp mustard powder
your chosen chutney
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC and line a muffin tin with cases
- Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar, mustard powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper in a bowl. Stir in the grated cheese
- In another bowl, beat the egg, milk, oil and wholegrain mustard together
- Stir the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients until just combined – don’t overwork it
- Spoon a tablespoon of mixture into the muffin cases and spread it out so it completely covers the bottom of the cases
- Put a small amount of chutney in the centre of each muffin case – no more than a level teaspoon
- Spoon the rest of the mixture in the muffin cases, taking care to try and keep the chutney in the centre
- Bake in oven for 18 minutes until golden brown and they have a nice crust on top
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before eating – hot chutney burns!