Cinnamon swirl in cake form – this cake is an absolutely must for cinnamon lovers!
I found this recipe on one of my Pinterest jaunts. I absolutely love cinnamon so was drawn to this recipe by Shugary Sweets. Cinnamon brings the most delicious warmth and flavour to dishes in my opinion. I really don’t think you can beat a cinnamon swirl, but this cake comes a close second! It is a lot quicker and easier, but still has the same taste, just a slightly lighter texture as it’s a cake.
Hands down my favourite part of this cake is the glaze as it is exactly like you would have on a cinnamon swirl. This recipe makes a very generous portion of this glaze which as you are drizzling it on looks like you might have been excessive, but do not panic as you will be wishing you had more!
I didn’t use all of the filling when I made this cake because it looked like a lot of sugar. Use your own judgement and add as much as you like remembering that the sugar will melt into the cake.
It’s not the prettiest of cakes, but believe me you won’t have anyone complaining that it looks boring once they have tasted it!
For the cake
2 ½ cup plain flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
¾ cup milk
For the filling
1 cup light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
- Using the spray oil, grease and lightly flour the bundt tin and set aside. Preheat oven to 180°C
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt together in your mixer bowl. Add in the butter and beat until the mixture becomes crumbly
- Add the eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and milk. Beat for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is smooth and fluffy
- In a separate bowl combine the brown sugar and cinnamon for the filling making sure the cinnamon is mixed through evenly . Set aside
- Pour half of the cake mix into the bundt tin and then sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the cake mix. Pour the rest of the cake mix on top
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until brown. Allow to cool in the tin slightly and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely
For the glaze
1 cup icing sugar
2 – 4 tbsp milk
1 tsp cinnamon
- Once the cake has cooled completely, whisk together the icing sugar, milk and cinnamon. Add more milk to get a thick pouring consistency
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake allowing it to drip down the sides