I LOVE Nutella. I think it is possibly one of the greatest things ever invented. I’m not one of those people you see in the advert that likes to eat Nutella on toast for breakfast, no way. My favourite way to eat Nutella without a doubt is with a spoon straight from the jar. This is why it is very dangerous for me to have Nutella in the house because it sits in the cupboard tempting me.
My lovely friend Millie, bought me the cutest heart shaped spoon which she had engraved with ‘Nutella spoon’ because she knows how much I love it. I now have to use that spoon every time I have Nutella and it makes me think of Millie.
As I have mentioned before, I like to have a muffin for breakfast and am trying to find healthier recipes for muffins. When I was thinking of different flavoured muffins, Nutella popped into my head. Now I know what you’re thinking – Nutella is not healthy. I’m not trying to claim it is, but by using yogurt in the recipe it reduces some of the fat and you only need a teaspoon full of Nutella. Depending on how generous you are with the Nutella will change how many calories are in the muffins, but if you use a level teaspoon the muffins are roughly 270 calories. In my quest to find a tasty, healthy muffin I know 270 calories is still not great, but it is less than the blueberry muffins I made so it is a start!
The muffins were lovely and fluffy with amazing Nutella goodness. I freeze them and the night before I want one, take it out and leave it on the side to defrost. This does mean they aren’t as fluffy as when they were first baked but I don’t want to eat 12 muffins in one sitting!
Depending on how big you make them, this mix will make between 12 and 14 muffins.
2 cups plain flour
1 cup caster sugar
½ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup no fat Greek yogurt
12-14 tsp Nutella
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a muffin tin with liners
- Mix together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder
- In a separate bowl whisk together the vegetable oil, eggs and yogurt
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined
- Fill the cases half way with mix and then add a level teaspoon of Nutella into the middle of each muffin. Cover the Nutella with the remaining muffin mix
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a cocktail stick comes out clean
These muffins are really easy so perfect to make a batch and enjoy as a tasty breakfast.