Light and fluffy sponge with the subtle flavour of pistachios and silky smooth cream cheese frosting.
I wanted to make a cake for my sister’s birthday and decided I wanted pistachios to feature as she loves them. I started looking online and found a few different recipes for pistachio cakes. I picked a Good Food recipe partly because the reviews said the final cake was tasty, but also because people had said how confusing the recipe was to follow and that ingredients had been missed out. It seemed a shame that if it was a good recipe, people may be out off making it because of a poorly written recipe. So here is my attempt at a clearer, easier to follow recipe.
The original recipe had the cream cheese frosting and the also a praline topping. I don’t think this is an element my sister would have liked which is probably for the best seeing as the reviews weren’t very positive about that part! Feel free to give it a go yourself – here’s the original recipe http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1999/pistachio-praline-and-vanilla-cake
This cake is perfect for when you want to make a cake, but don’t want to spend hours making it and you want something a little bit more special than a Victoria Sandwich (even though they are tasty too!) I really love how the pistachios colour the sponge with flecks of pale green.
For the cake
200g caster sugar
200g butter or margarine
150g self raising flour
100g de-shelled pistachios
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/fan 170ºC. Line two 8 inch loose bottomed sandwich tin with parchment paper
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Blitz the pistachios in a food processor until very fine and mix with the flour and baking powder. Add to the butter and sugar along with the eggs and milk and mix until combined
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and smooth. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden and a cocktail stick comes out clean
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack and letting cool completely
For the filling
200g full fat cream cheese
100g icing sugar
A few drops of vanilla essence
A few pistachios to decorate
- Mix the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla essence together until smooth
- As with all sandwich cakes turn one of the cakes upside down so the top is on the plate/cake board you are using to serve. Spoon half of the mixture onto the cake and spread out using a pallet knife. Place the remaining cake on top the correct way up
- Spread the rest of the cream cheese mixture onto the top of the cake and sprinkle with a few pistachio nuts. I roughly blitzed these again so some were bigger than others
I think there were a few jealous people in Nandos that day!