Colourful, chocolaty and deliciously sweet. This tasty treat will hopefully make you smile both because of its taste and also because of it’s bright and fun look.
Unicorn Rocky Road is the perfect treat for fans of white chocolate or sweet things in general. I initially came up with the recipe thinking it would be great for children because of all of the bright colours and sprinkles, but it turns out adults love it too – Mr Curly being one of them!
Unicorn inspired food is very popular at the moment and when thinking of how I could come up with an original recipe inspired by this trend, rocky road was the first thing that jumped into my head.
For years I have been making rocky road, especially around Christmas time to give as gifts. In the past few months I have been adapting my recipe to create even more delicious ways to enjoy it. Check out my Caramel Rocky Road for another yummy way to enjoy this tasty treat.
I love rocky road because it is so versatile and easy to make. You can tailor make it to include all of your favourite things using a base recipe. Once you have chosen your ingredients and mixed them with the melted chocolate, it is then as easy as letting it chill in the fridge. This also makes it a great recipe to get the kids involved with as they would only really need supervision and help melting the chocolate.
When I first made this, I had some sparkly white chocolate M&Ms which Mr Curly had brought back from a work trip to America for me. I’m always jealous of the huge range of chocolate and candy available in America that we don’t get here in the UK. If you live in America and are lucky enough to have these, leave out the white chocolate buttons and add the white chocolate M&Ms instead.
I feel the need to say that this recipe won’t be for everyone. If you aren’t a fan of white chocolate or very sweet things, then this recipe unfortunately won’t be for you. It can be quite sickly – well that is my opinion because I always find white chocolate very sweet; so I do recommend cutting the rocky road into relatively small squares.
Unicorn Rocky Road would be a great gift for someone; I put it in cellophane bags and tie with ribbon. Homemade gifts always go down well in my opinion because they can be more thoughtful than other gifts.
This rocky road can be kept in a sealed container in the fridge for at least a week. But I’m not going to lie to you, it won’t stay in your fridge anywhere near that long because it will mysteriously disappear before your eyes.
300g white chocolate
100g golden syrup
100g unsalted butter
125g white chocolate fingers
80g mini marshmallows
85g jelly beans
100g white chocolate buttons
1 tbsp popping candy
1 tbsp mini jazzies
1 tbsp sprinkles
- Line a 20x20cm square tin with baking parchment
- Break the white chocolate into chunks and put them in a heatproof bowl along with the butter and golden syrup
- Melt the ingredients either in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water. If you use the microwave, use short bursts of power and stir in between each burst. If you are using a pan, make sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl
- Once the chocolate has melted, set it aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients
- In a large bowl, break up the white chocolate fingers and add the mini marshmallows, jelly beans and sprinkles
- Add the melted white chocolate mix to the other ingredients and stir through
- Tip the mix into the tin and spread out as evenly as you can
- Sprinkle the top with the popping candy, mini jazzies and sprinkes
- Leave to set in the fridge for at least a couple of hours or overnight. Once completely cooled, cut into small squares