I always seem to have a few bananas that get forgotten about and end up getting a bit too ripe to eat. This is why I’m keen to find recipes to use them up! In my quest to find tasty, healthy muffins I looked in Lorraine Pascale’s A Lighter Way To Bake and came across her recipe for Banana and Honey Muffins. They were perfect as they were a healthy muffin that would use up my overripe bananas.
Out of all of the healthy muffins I have made, these are definitely the most moist as well being one of the lowest in calories. The bananas add the extra moistness without adding any unnecessary calories. Rien isn’t usually tempted by my healthy muffins, but he loved these. You really can’t tell that these muffins only have 176 calories each! Another great thing is that the mix makes twelve really big muffins! These are definitely one of my favourite muffins so far.
The recipe called for four bananas – one to go on the top. I only had three which is why mine don’t have the pretty decoration on top.
As with all of the muffins I make, they are perfect to freeze and then leave out to defrost overnight to make a great breakfast.
Makes 12 muffins
300g wholewheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 egg whites
200ml semi-skimmed milk
100g low-fat natural yogurt
50ml sunflower oil
2 tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 overripe bananas
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC (180ºC fan). Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- Mix the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl. Beat the egg and egg white briefly in a jug and then beat in the milk, yogurt, oil, honey and vanilla extract until smooth and completely combined
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry with as few stirs as possible until you get a wet, sloppy mixture
- Roughly mash 3 bananas and gently fold them into the mixture
- Divide the mixture into the paper cases. Peel and cut the remaining banana into 12 slices roughly ½cm thick and place one slice on top of each of the muffins
- Bake them in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Leave to cool in the tin for a few minutes before leaving to cool completely on a wire rack