This cake is incredibly chocolatey and deliciously rich – the perfect cake for any chocoholic!
What initially drew me to this recipe is that it keeps in the fridge for up to a week. Now I know that sounds like a really stupid reason to want to make a recipe, but I was looking for something to make for a family BBQ. I’d never catered for 20 people before and didn’t want to leave everything to the last minute and get myself in a bit of a flap. So when I saw that this cake would keep well in the fridge for a week I thought it was perfect. And it was chocolate which is always a winner.
This cake is very dense. As you can see from the photo it doesn’t have a crumb-like texture at all. This also makes is very rich so although it is delicious, I would recommend a modest slice and to not leave out the raspberries and cream which help cut through all of the chocolate.
I came across this recipe in Delicious magazine, but unfortunately cannot find the recipe online to link to. This is not my own recipe and I take no credit for it 🙂 (but I do definitely recommend making it!).
250g unsalted butter
300g good quality dark chocolate, chopped
5 medium eggs, separated
250g caster sugar
125g ground almonds
Cocoa powder for dusting
- Heat the oven to 180ºC (160ºC fan) and line a 23cm spingform tin
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until the butter starts to turn brown and smell like biscuits
- Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and then whisk in the egg yolks. Transfer to a large mixing bowl
- Using a stand or hand held mixer, whisk the egg whites to soft peaks. The peaks should droop when the beaters are removed
- Mix the sugar and almonds into the chocolate mixture and then using a large metal spoon, fold in the egg whites
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40 – 45 minutes until a cocktail stick pushed into the cake comes out clean
- Allow to cool completely in the tin and then chill until needed
- Just before serving, dust the cake with cocoa powder and scatter with fresh raspberries. Serve with double cream