I had seen a number of posts online where people had used mini Oreos on various cakes and thought they looked incredibly cute. I came across them in a shop the other day and instantly knew I wanted to make Oreo cupcakes with a mini Oreo on top. You could use a normal sized Oreo, but it doesn’t look as cute.
There are quite a few different recipes online for Oreo cupcakes so it was a case of looking around and finding the one I liked the sound of. I decided to make the recipe by Good Food Channel. A few of the other recipes I had looked at said the cupcakes were too sweet or they hadn’t turned out right. All of the recipes used cream cheese in the frosting which I thought sounded a little strange – cheese and chocolate, but it really works!
The original recipe said to use half an Oreo, but why would you use half when you can use the whole thing?! Yes I was feeling greedy, but I thought it would look better when you saw the inside of the cupcake.
For the cupcakes
11 large Oreo cookies
115g unsalted butter, softened
115g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla extract
100g self raising flour
20g cocoa powder
2 large eggs
1 tsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Line a muffin tin with 11 paper cases and put an Oreo in the bottom of each case
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla extract together until pale and fluffy
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder and add to the mixture along with the eggs. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Add the milk and mix to combine
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 mins or until a cocktail stick comes out clean
For the frosting
50g butter, softened
80g full fat cream cheese
175g icing sugar
6 large Oreo cookies
11 mini Oreos to decorate
- If you have a food processor, whizz the large Oreos into fine crumbs. If like me you don’t have a food processor, but them in a sealed sandwich bag and bash them with a rolling pin. Make sure the crumbs are quite fine or else they will get stuck in the nozzle when you are piping
- Beat the butter, cream cheese and icing sugar together. Gently fold in the Oreo crumbs, be careful to not over mix. If the frosting is a little runny, put it in the fridge to chill for 15 mins or so
- After you have piped the frosting onto the cupcakes, decorate each with a mini Oreo
If you are making them in advanced, wait until you are about to serve them before you decorate with the mini Oreo as it can become a bit soft if you do this in advanced.
These cupcakes went down really well and are a must if you are an Oreo fan!