My Mini Egg Rice Crispy Squares are the essential Easter treat for any chocolate fanatic. So easy and incredibly tasty but do not blame me when you can’t stop yourself from eating more than one!
At a quick glance you may think this is a rocky road recipe, but you would be mistaken!
As a child for me and I’m sure a lot of other people, Easter meant making rice crispy cakes. Referring to them as cakes was a little generous because I made them by literally mixing rice crispies and melted chocolate and spooning this into a cupcake case to set. Highly skilled stuff I’m sure you’ll agree.
Regardless of how simple they are, they are rather tasty! I made 100 rice crispy cakes for my brother in law’s 21st birthday when I was at uni. My housemates thought I was very strange but the hardest part was asking them not to eat any after I’d filled our fridges with them!
These rice crispy cakes were the inspiration for my Mini Egg Rice Crispy Squares. They are incredibly easy to make which means they are perfect for children to help with. I’ve chosen to decorate these with Mini Eggs, but you could also cut up some Creme Eggs to place on top.
Even though this recipe is so simple, people really love it. I took them into work most people couldn’t stop at just eating one and went back for multiple squares. So be prepared when you make these Mini Egg Rice Crispy Squares that they won’t last very long and you may want to consider making a double batch!
These keep in the fridge for up to a week to they are great to make in advance. If you do keep them out of the fridge they just become a bit more crumbly which makes them a bit messier to eat. You could also cut the squares a bit smaller if you wanted to not completely spoil your children!
Mr Curly and I give up chocolate for lent each year, not for religious reasons but it’s quite good to test our will power! I usually don’t bake with chocolate during lent to reduce temptation, but this year I bit the bullet and got the chocolate out.
Mr Curly did have to leave the kitchen when I said I was going to make these Mini Egg Rice Crispy Squares. Because of that I made them quite quickly which explains the lack of photos as I was making them!
Makes approximately 25 squares
400g milk chocolate
100g unsalted butter
150g golden syrup
100g rice crispies
100g mini eggs
50g micro eggs
50g mini marshmallows
An extra 50g milk chocolate and sprinkles to decorate (optional)
- Line a 20x20cm tin with baking paper and set aside
- Add 400g of the chocolate to a microwavable bowl along with the butter and golden syrup. Melt in the microwave in short bursts stirring in between until all of the ingredients are completely melted
- In a separate large bowl, add the rice crispies, mini eggs, micro eggs and marshmallows. Pour in the melted chocolate mix and stir through to coat everything evenly
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and level out
- Melt the remaining 50g of chocolate and drizzle over the rice crispies
- Add sprinkles and a few extra mini eggs before putting in the fridge to chill for a couple of hours or over night
- Cut into squares and tuck in!
Pin for laterLinking to