My Skinny Chicken Tikka takes one of the most loved Indian dishes which I have tweaked to make it a lighter without compromising on taste.
I’m not very adventurous when it comes to Indian food as I don’t like coconut, coriander or too spicy. This means that whenever we go to an Indian restaurant I always and I mean always order a chicken tikka masala.
Quite a few years ago, my brother in law Dom, found a delicious recipe online for Chicken Tikka Masala which tasted just like you would get in a restaurant. Unfortunately the website the recipe was from no longer exists so I can’t share that with you. The original recipe came in two parts – the first half for the chicken and the second for the sauce. When Dom made it for us, he made the sauce too which was amazing. Since Dom made it, I haven’t made the sauce again but this is just due to it being quite time consuming (soaking almonds was involved) and also it not being very healthy.
I have made changes to make this Chicken Tikka healthier without compromising on the taste – win! There wouldn’t have been much point in my opinion to change the recipe if the outcome wasn’t as tasty. I think healthy food shouldn’t mean less flavour. This is why I was so pleased that the healthier swaps in this recipe still make a delicious Skinny Chicken Tikka.
Most Chicken Tikka recipes use cream and butter and quite a lot of it at that! Instead, I have substituted these high calorie ingredients with non-fat yogurt and spray oil. I’ve made this with chicken breasts and thighs. I love using thighs because I think they have more flavour and the extra little bit of fat they have helps keep the chicken moist. If you really are health conscious I would recommend using breast however as this is less than 240 calories per portion. If you wanted to use thighs, this is still only around 260 calories per portion.
A warning should come with this recipe however. The longer you leave the chicken to marinate, the more delicious your Skinny Chicken Tikka will be. You may curse my name though because every time you open the fridge you will be met by a delicious waft of spices. Trust me though – resist temptation and leave it for up to sixty hours to get the best flavour.
My favourite way of eating this Skinny Chicken Tikka is with lettuce, cucumber and some mango chutney. You could crumble some poppadoms on top of your salad for some extra crunch. Just don’t get too carried away with the mango chutney because unfortunately this isn’t skinny!
If you would like something a bit more substantial, I would recommend eating this in a wrap or pitta with salad.
700g skinned chicken, diced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
175g non-fat natural yogurt
1 tbsp ginger puree
1 tbsp garlic puree
2 tbsp Tandoori Masala powder
½ tsp tumeric
½ garam masala
1 tsp dried coriander
½ chilli powder
- Put the diced chicken into a large bowl. Add all of the ingredients, except the oil and mix until combined. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for 2-60 hours – the longer the better!
- Preheat the grill to high and line the grill pan with foil and spray with oil
- Spray metal skewers with oil and thread the chicken pieces on
- Place the skewers on the grill pan and spray with oil. Cook quite close to the element for 3-4 minutes
- Turn the skewers over, spray with more oil and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Keep turning and spraying with oil until the chicken is cooked through. This should take between 20-25 minutes. You’re looking to get charred areas of the chicken
- Carefully ease the chicken from the skewers and enjoy hot or cold