Juicy burgers smothered in delicious cheese and topped with crisp bacon. These have to be pretty special to claim to be the Ultimate Bacon Cheese Burgers and they really are.
If you read my posts often you will know I am quite fussy. I love burgers, but I don’t like them when they are made with onion. I first had these burgers a good few years ago when my sister made them using a Jamie Oliver recipe. Since then Jamie has released lots of different burger recipes but I have been reluctant to try a different one as everyone loves this recipe. I have made these burgers for friends and family and have been told repeatedly that they are delicious. My Mother in Law isn’t a massive fan of beef burgers but she has said she loves these. These are the only beef burgers you will get if you come to my house!
Although the original recipe my sister made used the Jamie Oliver recipe, I have adapted it over the years to make it my perfect burger. Like I mentioned, I don’t like onions so this recipe is great because it doesn’t use any. I also like to taste herbs and have the subtle flavour of mustard in my burgers. I prefer wholegrain mustard but if you are a fan of dijon mustard, swap and use that instead.
These burgers are lovely and juicy with the crackers adding a nice crunch. They are very tasty with or without a bun, but for my Ultimate Bacon and Cheese Burgers, you definitely need a bun and you will get a little messy!
You can shape these with a burger press or by hand. The burger press ensures they will cook evenly because they will the the same thickness, but shaping them by hand makes then look lovely and homemade and you can make them to the size to fit your bun!
This recipe is perfect for beginner cooks as it is so easy. This makes them great for children to help with, or even for beginner cooks.
Makes 4 large burgers
500g beef mince
12 cream crackers, crushed
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tsp mixed herbs
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp mustard powder
Few twists of black pepper
8 rashers of bacon
4 slices of cheese
4 burger buns
Salad of choice, lettuce, tomatoes etc
Sauce of choice
- Put the crackers in a sealed plastic bag and crush them using a rolling pin until they are broken into smallish pieces. You don’t want fine crumbs at all, some texture is what adds to the burger
- Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine making sure all of the ingredients are mixed. I find it easiest to do this with my hands
- Divide into four portions and shape into patties. If it isn’t holding together, add a little more egg to bind. You can shape the patties by hand or by using a burger press.
- These burgers are delicious cooked on the BBQ; on a high heat they should need about 7 minutes per side. But if it isn’t BBQ weather, they taste just as good cooked in the oven. I put them in an oven set to 200ºC for approximately 20 minutes, turning half way through
- When the burgers have a 5 minutes left, start cooking your bacon. I cook this in a frying pan on a high heat until really crispy
- Once the burgers have cooked, add the slices of cheese and put back in the oven so the cheese can melt. This shouldn’t take more than a minute
- Assemble the burgers by slicing the buns, adding your chosen sauce followed by the burger, bacon and finally the salad