Light and fluffy cake with a tasty blueberry layer and lemon. My Blueberry & Lemon Bakewell Cake is perfect to enjoy as the weather makes you crave fresh, zesty flavours.
A while ago I was talking to Mr Curly’s cousin Katharine about my favourite jam – Bonne Maman’s raspberry jam. She mentioned that their blueberry jam was her favourite so I knew I had to try it! Being me, I didn’t want to just eat it on toast, I wanted to use it in a cake.
I love blueberries and lemon together and I also think blueberries go really well with almonds. This is why my Raspberry Bakewell Cake came to mind so I tweaked it to come up with my Blueberry & Lemon Bakewell Cake.
As we get closer to Spring, I always find myself fancying light and fresh cakes that include fruit such as my Double Orange Cake. Cakes like this are also great at this time of year to break up all of the chocolate people tend to eat around Easter.
An added extra for this recipe was the drizzle. This helps provide even more of a fresh lemon flavour to the cake.
140g caster sugar
140g ground almonds
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 lemon, zest
3 tbsp blueberry jam
2 tbsp flaked almonds
For the drizzle
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
50g icing sugar
- Heat the oven to 180ºC and line a loose bottomed 8″ cake tin
- Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy – at least 5 minutes
- Add the eggs, ground almonds, flour and vanilla extract and mix together until combined
- Spread half the mix into the tin and then add the jam and spread out. Scatter the blueberries over the top
- Spread the rest of the cake mix on top of the blueberries and scatter with flaked almonds. Bake for 50 minutes and then check it’s cooked by inserting a cocktail stick, if it comes out clean, the cake it cooked
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before turning out and cooling completely on a wire rack
Pin for later